Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cheap, easy, fresh-as-can-be PESTO!

All the supplies

Basil and cheese in the food processor


All done!
I lovvvve pesto. However, in the store it about $5 for 6 ounces. It is expensive! Instead, I decided to make it myself. There are only a few ingredients: basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese. I also add a handful of onions for flavor, but classic pesto does not use this. I have also recently stumbled upon sun dried tomato pesto and like it even more than basil pesto.

Anyway, this is the cost breakdown.

1/2 container of pine nuts: $8.50
1 block Parmesan cheese, grated: $5.99
2 bags of basil fresh from the farmer's market: $7
1 clove of garlic: $1
1 handful of onions: $0.15
Total: $22.64

I then froze the pesto into about 6 ounce portions. It made 9. So for almost exactly half the price, I can make my own basil pesto and have the freshest and best ingredients possible. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment